Kodi 18 Mimic Skin
The Mimic Skin by Braz is version 6.0.0. It’s a shameless amalgamation of features from his favorite skins. Including Aeon Nox, reFocus and Arctic Zephyr.
This will be last (for now) in our series of Kodi 18 / Leia Skin reviews, the Mimic Skin is the most recent. While most of the settings are of the basic nature, there are a few nice changes that are appealing to use. But for now lets proceed with installing the Mimic Skin.
How to install the Mimic Skin
- Step 1, select the Cog icon found in top left corner of the main home page.
- Step 2, Click on Interface.
- In Step 3, Highlight Skin, then move the cursor to the right and select Skin again.
- Step 4, Move the cursor to the right and click on Get more... Mimic will be found at the bottom of the next screen. Click to install.
- IF you do not see it listed, you can download the zip file from github from here.
After downloading the zip file and installing the skin, select YES when prompted to switch.
In the next screen you’ll be prompted again to keep the change, select YES. There will be an installation notification show at the top of your screen.
Once Yes is selected, you will see two screens as shown above. 1. Is the immediate screen shown and 2. is what you will see after selecting the back button or using the right button on the mouse. Hit back button on the remote or right click mouse to open the “Home Page”.
Mimic Skin Home Page
The menu by default is listed Vertically, I’ll show you how to switch it to Horizontal further on in this review. Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos and Favorites are where you’ll find any of the above added by you, the user. I’ve not added anything so there’s nothing to show you.
If you’ve added any of your own personal Music files, they will appear as shown above.
Above is an example of what will be shown when Add-ons is highlighted. Of course your selection will/may be different from the above photo.
Consequently, after selecting Add-ons, you will now be shown all the Add-ons Installed on your version of Kodi.
Selecting Search will open a new window where you are able to do search of what’s installed or related to Kodi 18.
Once you have selected Settings, you will have access to heart of Kodi 18 where you will be able to configure to your own personal settings.
Accessing File Manager is quite easy, but unfortunately it did not show in the Settings Photo above. When highlighted with the cursor, you will see an Arrow pointing down. Moving the cursor over it will show you four (4) additional options including File Manager. Select to continue.
- Select Add Source as shown in Photo 1.
- Click on None as indicated in Photo 2.
- Photo 3– A new window will appear with a keyboard.
- Enter the url address and select Done when completed. Please ensure the spelling, punctuation is correct, many mistakes are made at this point. If an error occurs, this would be the first place to examine.
- Photo 4– You will then be asked to give the url source a name. Once entered, select OK to continue.If everything is correct, you’ll be taken back to the same screen shown in Photo 1 above.
Power or Quit Options
Locating the Power Off or Quit option is done exactly the same as File Manager.
Menu Option Position
As explained earlier, if you prefer to have your Menu Icons listed Horizontally along the bottom as opposed to the default Vertical position, do the following steps.
- Highlight Settings.
- Move cursor to the right and select Skin.
- Highlight Home Window as shown above.
- Click Menu Position and Vertical will change to Horizontal. That is Option 1.
As a result, you now have the Menu Options listed at the bottom of the page, which to be honest is preferred by most. To access any of the sub-menus, just use the down arrow on your keyboard or the down direction on the remote.
The Option 2 shown above will be enabled only in the default Horizontal Position. Once Vertical is selected, the above option is disabled. This is a personal preference but easily changed either way.
The Mimic Skin isn’t as “flashy” as some other skins available for Kodi 18, but it is a very easy, clean skin for anyone to use.
Until more Skins for Kodi 18 become available, I’ll be taking a break from these reviews. I’ll be concentrating on some other blogs/reviews about Kodi in the very near future. I’d like to thank all of those who took the time to read these articles and hope it’s made your journey using Kodi 18 Skins a bit more enjoyable. Please follow our other topics of interest here at Geeks Corner.