The Transparency Skin is our next review on Tasso’s Tips©®. What is the Transparency Skin? It is a Fanart based skin is the short answer. Developed by ronie, it’s main goal is showing your fanart full screen, in all views, all the time. Most of all, it tries to support all the new features Kodi has to offer.
To save everyone a lot of time and trouble hacking the xml code themselves, all of these new features are already included. Pre-configured in the skin and enabled by default wherever possible. The most current version is 10.3.0.
Installing Transparency Skin
All of our Skin reviews are based on Krypton 17.6. If you have a newly installed version of krypton don’t forget to allow Unknown Sources by ;
- Click Settings (Cog Icon).
- Choose System Settings.
- Select Add-ons.
- Click Unknown Sources.
- A pop-up will appear.
“Add-ons will be given access to personal data stored on this device. By allowing, you agree that you are solely responsible for any loss of data, unwanted behavior, or damage to your device. Proceed?”
From the Kodi Home page:
- Photo A, Select the Cog Icon.
- Then click on Interface settings as indicated in Photo B.
- In Photo C, hover the cursor over Skin (step 1).
- Slide the cursor to the right and click on Skin (step 2).
- In Photo D, select get more… to load more skins.
Scroll down to Transparency! and select to install.
Wait for the Installation process to finish.
Furthermore, the next group of photos I will be showing occur only during the initial install of any new skin. The first is the prompt screen asking if you would like to keep the change. Click YES.
The above photo is a screenshot of the Interface sub-menu, found in Settings. Should you wish to revert back to the previous skin, you may do so now.
Transparency Home Page
The last of the initial installation screens is the Settings menu. As you can see, the Sub-Menus are are rather unique in their appearance and rather easy to read. To exit the screen to the Home Page, select the back/return button on the remote/controller of your device. Or if a keyboard/mouse combo is enabled, hit the ESC key or right click the mouse.
First of all, you will notice the List of the Menu Options are visible in a Vertical alignment. We’ll show you how to change that view later on with some other tips about this skin. The views you see above are; moving clockwise from the the top left:
- TV Shows.
Clockwise from top left:
Settings and File Manager
Settings is the last Menu option to show you. In addition to the accessing Settings (see 1st photo under “home page” heading above) by just clicking Settings, there is a shortcut. As shown in Photo A, if you hover the cursor over settings for a brief moment, a new menu will slide out. This can also be achieved by hitting the right arrow directional key on the keyboard. For this section, we’re going to show you how to access File Manager.
Due to selecting File Manager in Photo A, the next screen to appear is shown in Photo B. Select Add source to continue.
- Photo A– Click None in the new screen you see.
- Photo B- Using the supplied keyboard or use your enabled keyboard on your device, it may be faster. Enter the URL of the file source you wish to install.
- When confident the spelling is correct, click Done. Repeat the same process when asked to enter a Name for the Source file.
Locating My Add-ons in Transparency
First of all, I must admit it took me some time to figure where this option was. As with other reviews of skins, there’s no help showing where some of these features are located. This is the main reason Tasso’s Tips©® has taken the time to search these out for those interested in trying new skins. From the Home Page, select Settings:
- Select Add-ons as shown in Photo A.
- In Photo B, you now have access to My Add-ons, Recently Updated, Install from repository, etc.
Tips and Shortcuts
The following selection of Screenshots will hopefully help you enjoy the Transparency Skin as you discover what it has to offer.
Add-ons– While hovering over Add-ons, a new window will appear in the bottom right corner showing you a randomly selected list of add-ons you have installed. In this case, it happens to be Death Streams RD (no longer in use) To open, simply hit the Enter or OK button/key.
Music– Same as Add-ons, when you hover the cursor on Music, Two (2) things will happen. A new window will slide open, giving you access to your Music Files, Library, Albums, Songs, etc. Most noteworthy is the window shown in the bottom right corner. This will randomly show a list of your songs. Using the wheel on the mouse, you can scroll thru the list to select a song to listen to.
Changing Menu Views– By default, the home page menus are Vertical. Some may prefer to keep it that way, while others may wish to use the more conventional Horizontal View. In order to change this view:
- Click Settings in the Home Page.
- Next, select Skin Settings.
- Move the Cursor slightly to the left of the screen and select Home Window, this will be the second option available. Unfortunately, every attempt I made to include that screenshot was unsuccessful, so you’ll have to take my word on it.
- Photo A shows the list of Options in Home Screen. The first option at the top is Horizontal home menu. Click anywhere in the blue area to enable. The dot to the far right will turn Blue indicating it is now enabled.
- After exiting back to the Home Page, Photo B now shows the main Menu Options have been moved to bottom of the screen in a Horizontal Configuration.
Where is the Power or Exit option in Transparency Skin ? In the Home Page, in the top right corner as indicated by the Arrow in Photo A is the Power Icon. After selecting, a new window (Photo B) will now offer a set of options, some of which are new. Listed in numerical order:
- i is for System Information.
- File Manager.
- X is for Exit Kodi.
- kodi is Restart Kodi.
- Is the Power off button.
- Clock stands for Custom Shutdown Timer.
- Quarter Moon is for Suspend.
- Star stands for Hibernate.
- Is Favorites.
- Stands for Reboot.
- Cog is Settings.
- Symbol for Eject/Load Drive.
All of the above options are found when using a PC, however, after installing Transparency on my Nvidia Shield, the same option appeared except for Hibernate. For the majority of you, including me, if you have selected the Power Icon you are ready to power down/exit Kodi. While the other options are handy to have, it is a bit of an overkill in my opinion.
I certainly hope you have learned something new from reading this review. Our intent is to provide as much information about where and how to access Menu Options in new skins. Not all are located in the same area and can be confusing to a new user. For information on other reviews, please use this Link. Thank you for taking the time to read our reviews.